The Heritage Sandy Springs Museum is located in the re-purposed Williams-Payne House, named for the Williams family who built the house and farmed the land from the late 1860s until 1939, at which time the Paynes purchased the home. Originally located on the present-day corner of Mount Vernon Highway and State Route 400, the house was moved to Heritage Green in 1985.
From 1989 to 2009, the house operated as a historic house museum, which reflected what life would have been like in rural Sandy Springs in the 1860s. In 2009, initiatives began to convert the house to a history museum housing changing exhibits that reflect our history and culture. Those initiatives were completed in 2018 and reopened to the public with five galleries dedicated to sharing the history, art, and culture of our community. Click the icons below to learn more!